There is great discussion and distress around the subject of societal responses to Covid-19 as it relates to people with disabilities Whether it be people with medical disabilities/pre-existing conditions, or people with a mental health, developmental, intellectual, or sensory disabilities, the experience of quarantine, social distancing, and the question of receiving medical or other assistance, are daunting for many people with disabilities and their loved-ones. However, most nondisabled people remain unaware of the implications of the Coronavirus to the disability community. For this assignment, your task is to examine and learn how the Covid-19 pandemic is impacting this population. Learning Objectives:
1. Students will summarize three references that address the topic of the Covid-19 Pandemic and the disability community.
2. Students will apply their knowledge of course concepts to the Covid-10 Pandemic.
3. Students will examine the controversies surrounding disability and Covid-19 and evaluate their own perspectves on these issues.
Assignment Content Requirements
1. You are required to summarize three references on this subject. These references can be a combination of peerreviewed articles, online sources, or online videos. In your summaries, include the information to the reference, who the audience is for that reference, the purpose of their message, key points, and arguments.
2. Consider the issues and arguments listed in the references you have explored. What three concepts discussed in class so far, presented themselves in your references? Elaborate on how they correlate with your findings.
3. Contemplate the media exposure of Covid-19 and how it relates to people with disabilities. Is disability representation present in dominant media platforms? Do the perspectives you have read about or listened to permeate your social media feeds? Or is the new information surprising to you?
4. What issues do you feel are most controversial at the intersection of Covid-19 and disability? Defend your argument.