A. ECSE 350: Each individual student can choose to do both case studies or can propose a project of interest to do . ( Case No. 1 and No. 2).
B. ECSE 450: Each individual student can choose to do both case studies or or can propose a project of interest to do . ( Case No. 1 and No. 2); Also must do the research presented in Section C below.
Detailed Questions for Each of Cases studies:
1. Follow below instructions. Try to implement TWO methods from the book or other sources for solving this problem. Compare the two methods results.
2. Do comprehensive bi-criteria analysis; and if needed tri-criteria analysis. Assume the missing information and provide a justification for it
3. Show the use of Excel and optimization using solver or other programs; generate nice graphs that provides more in-depth solution explanation of your solutions.
4. Consider the case as an open research questions; what are the issues that are missing and provide a critique of the fundamental approach and how you can possibly improve it.
The Report for Each Model and for Each Case Study:
It is important to write a good report, in particular state your problem very clearly and give a brief background and rational of the problem. Describe the development of your model/solution step-by-step, along with any assumption you make. Display the results in suitable forms and discuss your analysis of results along with your conclusions and recommendations.
The format of the report should be as following.
• Introduction including the background, rational and statement of the problem
• Model description: a complete detail of the mathematical model showing the decision variables, the objective function, and constraints. For each key relation, a short description should be given.
• Respond to the questions stated in each case study.
• Must show the use of computer programs for each case study such as using Excel or MATLAB etc.
• In addition to above case study questions also describe/ develop/adopt at least two decision scenarios (alternatives) where each alternative will have at least two criteria. You may need to assume some information (data) for this part.
• Result and Analysis: summary description of results and answer to questions including all sensitivity analysis as appropriate.
• Conclusions and recommendations
• Appendix A: computer outputs.
• Appendix B: computer codes (if any).
• Appendix C: table of coefficients, if any.
Due Date for Report Submissions
See course outline dates
Penalty for Identical or Similar Reports
1. It is expected that each study will submit original reports, which reflects only the effort of individual member.
2. If students have a question related to the project, they should only consult to TA.
For 450 Students: (In Addition to Above Case Studies)
See Other instruction from Professor
In you case studies, you can use the following soft wares.
1- Lenex Corporation: You can use Excel regression. the following links are good sources to learn Excel regression module.
2-Construction Associates. You can use Microsoft Project or develop your own solution using any available software package for project management. It is available to download for free from case software center. There are also several tutorials for use of project management software’s. following link provides good overview of the software.
C. For 450 Students Only: (In Addition to Above TWO Case Studies)
(In Addition to Above Case Studies or the Chosen Project)
Case studies: ( 2/3rd of Project Score)
Graduate students must show the use of advanced topics that were covered in the text book. Also, they should consider bi-criteria (or three criteria if applicable) as well as the advanced topics of the book.
A Research Project or Application: ( 1/3rd of Project Score)
Choose only one chapter of the text book that was covered in this course, then only choose one topic (e.g. one Section of the chosen chapter). This topic cannot be the same as the same topic that you have done in my other courses for your projects in the past. Find, the FIVE most important papers related to this topic; these papers should have been recently (or in the past 25 years) published; at least three of these papers must have been cited by at least 30 other technical papers. Do the followings.
a. In one pager, summarize as an abstract all five papers and relate to other papers as needed.
b. Choose the top best three papers and provide of one to two pages explaining the meanings of each of these papers as related to the chosen topic and the coverage in the text book.
c. Provide additional three to five pages of comparing these three papers to each other and to the book. Provide additional information on integrating them, their meanings and/or the combinations of the three papers and how they can be used in a unified manner. (You may also analyze them using risk, multiple objective optimization, and MCDM approaches. Clearly explain the meanings of your results in terms applications and/or possible cases studies.
d. In one page, summarize your results compare the results of these papers to the text book
e. This report should be at least twelve pages, 1.5 space, font size 12, Times Roman. References should be added at the end and are in addition to the twelve pages.
f. Explain clearly the meanings of your results in terms applications and/or possible cases studies.
g. This report should be at least ten pages, 1.5 space, font size 12, Times Roman.