1. What is DNA? Where is it found?
2. What is mitochondrial DNA?
3. What is CODIS? How does it work?
4. What are complimentary base patterns? Why are they important?
5. What is RFLP? What are some of the limitations of this technique?
Critical Thinking Questions
1. Why do you think DNA has had such an impact on forensic science?
2. What do you think would be some of the challenges in collecting DNA evidence? How would you overcome these challenges?
3. Compare and contrast nuclear DNA with mitochondrial DNA. Which one would you want to use in a criminal investigation if you had the choice?
4. Which of the DNA typing techniques do you think you would choose if you had to analyze a DNA sample? Why?
5. What challenges do you think giving expert testimony about DNA would have? How would you try to overcome these challenges?