Chapter 2. Nanoscale characterization
Discuss how all types of characterization tools are applied to the characterization of nanocomposites.
Nanocrystalline metals and alloys
What is the main challenge of processing bulk Nanocrystalline metals and alloys? Summarize how each processing method overcomes the challenge.
Chapter 4 Carbon Nanotube
1. Using geometric and structural characteristics, chemical composition to explain why carbon nanotube is a popular filler for nanocomposites.
2. Compare the pros and cons of different carbon nanotube synthesis methods.
3. Carbon nanotube hybrid composites: Review the state-of-art of this type of composites: properties, synthesis and applications
4. Graphene based nanocomposites
Review the state-of-art of this type of composites: properties, synthesis and applications in aerospace/mechanical engineering.
Chapter 5 Synthesis of nanomaterials
1. Ceramic nanoparticles are primarily made up of oxides, carbides, phosphates and carbonates of metals and metalloids such as calcium, titanium, silicon, etc. They have a wide range of applications due to a number of favorable properties, such as high heat resistance and chemical inertness. Do a short review on mass production of certain ceramic nanoparticle.
2. Surface modification/functionalization of nanoparticle is critical for achieve good particle-matrix interface, thus, improved quality of the nanocomposite. Summarize methods used to functionalize nanoparticles. Briefly discuss the advantage and limitation of each methods.
1. Ceramic matrix Nanocomposites
Discuss the mechanism of ceramic hardening through the addition of hard nanoparticles. Provide a case study of ceramic nanocomposite material, discuss the synthesis and properties.
2. Metal matrix nanocomposites
Discuss the two methods used for in-situ manufacturing of MMNC. Explain the key characteristics of in-situ manufacturing. Provide a short review of industrial application of in-situ manufacturing of MMNC.
3. The introduction of inorganic nanomaterials as additives into polymer systems has resulted in polymer nanocomposites exhibiting multifunctional and high performance. Nanoclay is the most widely investigated nanomaterials in a variety of different polymer matrices for a spectrum of applications. Discuss the molecular structure and mechanical properties of montmorillonite nanoclays. Mechanism of nanoclay-polymer bonding is either intercalation or exfoliation. Please briefly describe these two mechanisms and discuss how the bonding mechanisms influence the microscopic structure and properties of the resultant nanocomposites. (Use diagram for illustration)
4. Nanoparticle dispersion in matrix material is the key factor that affects the quality of the nanocomposite. Discuss how dispersion is quantified. What are methods to improve the dispersion. Present a case study of dispersion in relation to mechanical/thermal quality of nanocomposite.