|Assignment Brief/ Coursework Content:
Purpose of the Assessment
This assignment is designed to enable you to demonstrate an understanding of the role of statistical process control in informing management decisions relating to quality.
· You will conduct a review of the academic literature on the subject of statistical process control.
· Following your review, you are to analyse a given set of data to evaluate the performance of a fictional tannery in a given scenario.
· You will be expected to illustrate your discussion with examples from academic and other authoritative sources.
1. Prepare a literature review on the subject of statistical process control, covering particularly the benefits from its application to business processes.
Ensure that you include references to at least 5 peer-reviewed articles, no more than ten years old. You may also find relevant reviews in the trade press and from other authoritative sources.
(50% of word count)
2. The supplied spreadsheet contains historic data recording the temperature of combined effluent discharged by a fictional tannery, Aston Leather Limited (ALL) over the past four months.
The tannery’s discharges are normally controlled within the range 25oC to 35oC. The maximum permitted temperature is 40oC. Regular maintenance is performed on the balancing system (which neutralises the pH of the effluent at the expense of heating the discharge in the process) on a monthly basis.
Use the data to visualise the performance of the effluent control process, describing your analytical approach in detail. Include any graphs generated.
In your view, how well has the plant performed?
In your judgement, what priorities for quality improvements should the plant management set?
(50% of word count)
Try not to overcomplicate your answers. Keep to simple processes that you know well.
Look at the Check list at the end of this brief. It shows the subheadings to use and offers a guide as to how the marks will be distributed.
Use the percentages as a guide to how to distribute your word count.
|Descriptive details of Assignment:
· Document Title e.g. Firstname_Lastname_LT2OPM_CA_Report
· Preferred Format MS Word document
· 1000 (+/- 10%) words in total excluding; appendices, tables, figures etc.
· Complete and thorough Harvard referencing throughout
|Recommended reading/ online sources:
· The Blackboard module contains lectures and key journal articles associated with this assessment.
· A vast number of online websites/ journals/ sources are available
· Avoid referencing websites, published academic books & journals ONLY.