Visit the National Hurricane Center Web site at: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
Find and submit the answers to the following questions (Note: theFrequent Questions andMost Extreme sections will be especially helpful):
1. List the ten hurricanes that have caused the most deaths in the United States since 1900. Provide the estimated death toll for each. Make sure you include only hurricanes since 1900.
2. List the top ten hurricanes that have been the most costly in the U.S. between 1900 and 2010. Provide the name of the storm, states affected, year of the storm, and dollar amounts for each.
3. During a hurricane, what is the proper arrangement (open or closed) of the windows and doors on the storm side? on the lee side? Explain your answers.
4. In the southern Atlantic Ocean, hurricanes are almost non-existent. What reasons can you find for this?
5. Why do hurricanes hit the east coast of the U.S. but not the west coast?
6. Has a hurricane ever hit the west coast of the United States? If so, where, and when what are the implications of this considering the earth appears to be undergoing a warming cycle?
7. What are the chances (probability) that New Orleans will receive a direct hit from a hurricane or tropical storm in any given year?
8. Which part of the United States has the highest probability of direct hit from a hurricane or tropical storm in any given year?”