Please answer any five (5) out of seven (7) questions. Each question is worth eight (8) marks. Each answer should be between 400-500 words in length and include examples from the industry to illustrate.
- Tourism and transportation are often described as being inseparable. Discuss the tourism transportation continuum and explain some of the trends in tourism transportation.
- Identify and discuss three possible Service Operations Manager’s roles or responsibilities in a tourism operation, beyond that of human resource management (staff) and property management.
- Why does overbooking occur in accommodation and airlines sectors? Critically analyse the consequences of over booking and its legal aspects?
- Think of a strategic alliance from the tourism industry. Discuss some benefits for that particular alliance as well as some challenges that it has to face.
- What are the two most likely supply and demand situations that will require strategic management and discuss the three strategies relevant to each situation (provide examples of their application in a tourism operation)?
- Are ‘Travel bubbles’ a method of clustering? Explain Clustering and its application to tourism? Discuss key managerial implications of the ‘tourist-supplier duality’ concept. You must also discuss its importance in the tourism and hospitality industry.