Throughout this semester you will learn about the economic, environmental and socio-cultural impacts of tourism, hospitality and events activities. We will also explore strategies to minimise negative impacts and maximise positive impacts.
For this assignment, you are required to
- visit a tourist destination/ accommodation establishment/ theme park/ event/ leisure facility
- identify observable and potential economic, environmental and socio-cultural impacts
- present a report on these impacts including recommendations on how to capitalise on the positive impacts and minimise the negatives
Your report should be divided into the following sections:
|1.||· An explanation of the concept of sustainability including key terms and their relevance to the site chosen
· An overview of your chosen site – location, target markets (from your observations), visitor numbers (if easily available), and the sort of experiences offered.
· Maps and other supporting illustrations to support your introduction.
|750 – 1,000|
|2.||· A discussion of the current and potential impacts of these activities (economic, environmental, socio-cultural). These should be supported by evidence from the site itself (eg. photos, diagrams). You can also use examples from your previous travel experiences and the literature.
· A discussion of current measures used to manage impacts
|3.||· Recommendations for ways in which management could minimise current and potential negative impacts and enhance/capitalise on current and potential positive impacts. Again, use examples from your own experiences and publication (brochures, websites, academic literature) to support your ideas.||1,000|
You may find that some impacts are more prominent in certain areas than in others. For example, Fraser Island may feature impacts on the natural environment, an Aboriginal community may be most affected by socio-cultural impacts and major events may place a focus on economic impacts. However, you should include aspects of all impacts in your report.
PART 1: Introduction (750 – 1,000)
- An explanation of the concept of Sustainable Tourism including key terms (e.g., nature-based tourism, environmental impacts, carrying capacity, triple bottom line)
- Overview of site
- Main attractions/activities
- Target markets (from you observations) & visitor numbers (if easily available)
- Supporting maps, diagrams (please insert into text)
PART 2: Current and potential impacts (Approx. 2,000)
This section should be supported with in-text photos and diagrams where applicable
- Environmental impacts
- Positive (eg. wildlife conservation)
- Negative (eg. litter)
- Social impacts
- Positive (eg. improved recreation facilities)
- Negative (eg. crowding)
- Economic impacts
- Positive (eg. generation of employment)
- Negative (eg. overdependence on tourism)
- Current measures to manage impacts
PART 3: Recommendations (Approx. 1,000)
- Managing environmental impacts
- Managing social impacts
- Managing economic impacts
Please use APA style
Appendices (maps, diagrams, photos)