Part B: Landforms of Glacial Erosion –
1. a) Draw a cross-section of Dome Glacier, starting at the elevation 3,083 m across to 2,672 m on the other side of the valley (use map 14.1).
b) On the cross-section, note any significant changes in slope.
c) Explain why these changes occur and/or how they were formed.
2. On map 14.1, show the following landforms of glacial erosion (use the symbols in the excerpt map legend):
a) The trough of the Dome Glacier
b) Cirques around the Mount Andromeda-Mount Athabasca massif
c) Arêtes around the Mount Andromeda-Mount Athabasca massif
d) Horns in the Mount Andromeda-Mount Athabasca massif
Part C: Landforms of Glacial Deposition –
1. a) On map 14.1, show the active lateral and medial moraines on the Dome and Athabasca glaciers (same map as Part B).
2. Why are there medial moraines on the Dome Glacier but none on the Athabasca Glacier? Illustrate your answer with diagrams.
3. Compare the surface morphology of the Dome, Saskatchewan, and Athabasca Glaciers. What influence does the presence of medial moraines have on the shape? Why? Illustrate your answer with profiles across glaciers with and without medial moraines.
Part D: The Recent Retreat of the Athabasca Glacier –
1. From the symbol in the legend of the Columbia Icefield map (map 14.1) and the accompanying map of the ice front positions of the glacier (map 14.2), show the moraines abandoned by the Athabasca Glacier between 1870 and 1977 on map 14.1 (note the undated better examples left by the Saskatchewan Glacier). Use the symbol in the legend for map 14.1.
2. The table below gives the year of abandonment of moraines in front of the Athabasca Glacier and their distance from the 1977 ice front shown on the 1980 map. The position of the 2007 and 2020 ice fronts is from other, more recent sources.
Table 1.0: Date of moraines in front of the Athabasca Glacier (modified from Luckman et al. 2020).
Year of Abandonment Distance from the Ice Front (m)
a) Plot these data on a graph and join the points with a straight line.
b) Calculate the range of glacial retreat (in m/yr) for the periods 1843-1870, 1870-1938, 1938-1950, 1950-1977, 1977-2007, and 2007-2020. Show your calculations below:
c) Estimate the age of the moraine across Sunwapta Lake (690 m from the 2007 ice front) using the graph you created in question b).